Re: When was the last time....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on September 07, 2000 at 11:28:00:

In Reply to: When was the last time.... posted by Leland on September 04, 2000 at 23:34:38:

You know, I've had some GREAT moments playing classical rep in bands and orchestras, and I've had a lot of fun playing in jazz bands as well. The most fun I have is when I perform with SHELL SHOCK, my tuba quartet here in Atlanta. But, I have to tell you, the most moving moments I have are when I'm playing the simplest tunes. To some of you, this will sound absolutely vile. To others, you'll know...

The most moving moments are when I play The Army Goes Rolling Along in front of the reviewing stand at a retirement ceremony and I see all of the retirees faces remembering their 20+ years of service, remembering their friends and fallen comrades, realizing that their best years (usually) are behind them now. The other moment that I can recall quickly is when we play the Armed Services Medley toward the end of a performance and you see all the veterans stand with pride as their service song is being played. I get choked up every time when I think of what they did for their country.

I love Brahms, but the moments that you can connect with the audience are the ultimate.

Follow Ups: