Re: St. Petersburg Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by joseph on September 14, 2000 at 11:49:29:

In Reply to: St. Petersburg Tubas posted by Tubanut2 on September 12, 2000 at 16:18:11:

I hate to add fuel to the fire on this topic but I just recently had the opportunity to play a few notes on one of these horns and relative to all the terrible things I've read I didn't think it was bad at all. Perhaps the guy that owned this horn was especially lucky but it was a few years old and had no dents and the valves worked fine if a little noisy. The only structural thing to happen to him that he shared with me was that his thumb ring had fallen off. It was soldered back on but he didn't use it any more. I expected it to play like a real dog too.. poor response atleast if not out of tune but even that seemed just fine to me. *Huge* dark sound when used with my PT-88. So now I'm beginning to wonder.. is there some sort of conspiracy going on here or was this guy especially lucky? The price of one of these that has been fixed up properly is high enough that I still think most people should atleast consider other options but it doesn't strike me nearly as the atrocity that I had originally thought it to be based on discussion here. Perhaps this is part of a well deserved anti Vince campaign?

Please don't shoot me,
joseph 'still don't plan to buy one' felton

Follow Ups: