Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How much difference is there..........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by joseph on September 22, 2000 at 10:29:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: How much difference is there.......... posted by Benade-boy on September 22, 2000 at 01:23:00:

Something tells me that this already happens informally on the showroom floor. Even if it were organized in some way I have a gut feeling that it would quickly devolve into a bunch of college guys trying to play lower, higher and louder than everyone else. I would win btw. ;b (tongue planted very firmly in cheek on that one)

The other issue is that these sort of tests have the potential to create fatalistic mind traps(tm). In other words we begin to see in other horns what we expect to see based on these tests. I understand that this tendency is what allows us to get through life in a reasonably successful way but by the same token the greatest players have such well formed concepts that they can sound great no matter the equipment. Personally, I would rather spend my time in the second group. I don't see a whole lot to be gained from these tests even if I were involved in instrument design. Way too many variables to contend with for tests such as these to ever be more than psuedoscience.

respectfully,
joseph

Follow Ups: