Re: wood vs. molded plastic hard case?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dmmorris on September 28, 2000 at 12:59:51:

In Reply to: wood vs. molded plastic hard case? posted by M. Martin on September 28, 2000 at 10:33:14:

I've had both. Wood is stiffer than plastic, but much heavier. Plastic (including fiberglass reinforced plastic) has a tendency to fatigue over time...it becomes more flexible and sometimes brittle with cyclical loading. This usually happens in the areas where hardware (hinges, clasps, handle, etc.) attach. For the long haul wood would be my choice, but what a pain to lug around. Yeah, they have wheels, but..........we're talking heavy!

It would be easy to build a lightweight case that would last (read: carbonfiber in an epoxy-polymer matrix, and maybe some high quality skate-board trucks instead of those cheapo rubber wheels). But I would guess the cost would be very prohibative, 'cause the demand is so low and the probable need of customization high.

I use a gigbag around town and a homebrew fiberglass-reinforced plywood hardcase for domestic road-trips. When I ever get invited to Europe, I'll probably buy a padded flight crate (Anvil or-the-like)....shouldn't be happening anytime soon ya know!

Regards,
dmm

Follow Ups: