Re: Re: Re: Alternate fingerings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art on September 29, 2000 at 15:05:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Alternate fingerings posted by John V. Skarzenski on September 29, 2000 at 08:00:13:

You are not likely to learn anything useful on this subject from books, because what works for one instrument or player often will not for another. For example, I have two BBb tubas that I use a lot; one for concert band work and the other for jazz. On one of them the G's tend to be sharp (almost all of them) when I finger them 1&2, but the D's are fine. So I finger the G's with my third valve instead, and they are right on the money. On the other instrument the G's are fine with 1&2, but D below the staff is sharp unless I finger it with the third valve. It only took me a couple of years to get used to those tricks after I figured them out, and they solved the problems.
There was an article in the Summer, 1980 issue of the TUBA Journal that showed graphically how you can figure out lots of alternate fingerings, and how their intonations will compare. Every possible combination is explored, for 3, 4, 5, and 6-valve instruments. I could send you a copy if you like.
-Art-

Follow Ups: