Re: Re: I need advise.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The saxophone lesson . . . . on September 20, 2001 at 18:13:26:

In Reply to: Re: I need advise. posted by Jay Bertolet on September 20, 2001 at 16:47:40:

Jay B. wrote:
"No matter how great a player you are, you still have to deliver under pressure. Perhaps he is simply testing you to see how you'll react to the pressure and constant criticism. This is a valuable lesson for the would-be performer."

Along these lines, my daughter's sax instructor (local symphony clarinetist / bass clarinetist / formerly local symphony trumpet player / whatever-is-needed-ist) would provide brutally honest feedback. No punches pulled. Little "cheer-leading". His standards were high, and he always insisted motivation must come from within the student, not from his personal level of encouragement. Do you want to play well or not . . . .

In addition to the "constructive criticism" he had another interesting technique he used whilst she would be playing through a contest piece. He would stand up, walk around the room, open/shut file cabinet drawers, do some filing, sharpen his pencil, etc. More distractions than any annoying judge or audience members would typically provide. Typically in the actual contest performance setting, little distractions were more of a source of mild amusement to his students -- not distractions at all!

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: