Re: Piston Vs Rotary

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff miller on September 20, 2001 at 20:01:13:

In Reply to: Piston Vs Rotary posted by Scott Liu on September 20, 2001 at 11:46:55:

I had a friend in college who had an HB-2. We talked about it alot and when we played the two horns side by side, found that the rotary valve model seemed have the characteristics of a slightly bigger tuba than the rotary valve model. I believe the HB-2P had a graduated bore, but I think the HB2 probably has a constant bore. I don't know what the bore of the HB2 is, but I'm guessing it's on the bigger side of the 3 bores present on the HB2.

Anyway, as I said before, the rotary valved model seemed like a slightly bigger tuba in terms of sound and response. The actual tuba beyond the valve section should be identical on both models.

Are you in the US, UK, or somewhere else? (I'm assuming you may be UK based due to Mike Johnson's post). If you are in the UK, you will probably need to buy your instrument directly from Hirsbrunner, in which case you have something like 7 or 10 models of CC tuba to choose from. Although only one size is imported into the US, creating the impression that they only make one model of each 4/4 size tuba, Hirsbrunner actually makes their 4/4 CC tubas in 2 or 3 different bore size models.

Try to get a hold of a catalogue from Hirsbrunner (or go to their web page) to see what's really available.

I've heard alot of people (including Howard Johnson) say that they prefer piston valves because they provide a bit of extra clarity to the articulation. On the other hand, the rotary valve horns generally slur like a dream. It really boils down to your preferred concept of playing. Are you a giant euphonium, or a giant french horn?

From what I know about the B&H Eb (I'm assuming you have one of those top-facing valve models, not the newer one) you'll probably find the HB2P an easier switch than the HB2.

If you're ever in London, you're welcome to have a go on my HB-2P, in case you've never played one. I'm not sure if anyone here has an HB2, but I think Oren Marshall had one, which he may have sold by now.

Hope that's useful. I tried to keep the BS to a minimum.

Jeff

Follow Ups: