Re: I need advise.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by me on September 20, 2001 at 21:01:22:

In Reply to: I need advise. posted by Rather not say on September 20, 2001 at 10:28:02:

In general, I think everyone below has given great advice. However, there is a fine line between a teacher's having high, uncompromising standards for his talented students (which is GOOD!!) and the teacher just being a complete bastard. If you are dealing with the former, stick with everyone else's advice-- suck it up, and you'll end up a much better player.

On the other hand, it is NOT productive to remain with a teacher who is emotionally abusive, belittling, etc, whether or not it's intentional. Sometimes critiscm from a teacher can begin to take on different dimensions. If you feel like your teacher is attacking you AS A PERSON, or his treatment of you has little or no bearing on your musical performance, that's a problem. This is a pretty tricky situation, though. You obviously have to be careful to address the problem as non-confrontationally as possible. I can't give you specific suggestions for this part, since I don't know you, your teacher, or anything about your relationship. All I can say, in that case, is be as polite and respectful as possible while STANDING UP FOR YOURSELF.

If the problem persists, you can go to someone higher up in the music school and submit a complaint. It might not do any good, but on the other hand, the administration can't be expected to know that problems exist and take steps to fix them if no one ever steps up. You might be surprised to learn that you aren't the only one of this professer's students to be having problems!

Despite all that rambling, I really DID have a point in mind at the beginning! COMMUNICATION is all that's going to resolve your problem. Talk to your professor, and decide whether you just aren't living up to the potential he sees in you, or if something else is going on. In any event, good luck, and please don't forget that music should be FUN. It can be surprisingly easy to loose sight of that. Play something you love everytime you get discouraged, and don't give up!!

Follow Ups: