Re: Re: Re: Tubists and women

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by my view... on September 04, 2002 at 19:21:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tubists and women posted by Volker on September 04, 2002 at 12:55:49:

Volker,

I realize that you are coming from a culture that may or may not be very different from ours, so please don't take my response as hostile towards your opinions. I respect them. I would like you to hear my perspective for a second though...

I don't play the tuba to be "manly," nor is it my goal to be "macho." I play the tuba because I love it. I enjoy being different, but certainly do not go out of my way to make a case of it. I don't dress like a guy, or try to fit in only with guys, I am just being myself, and my identity happens to be that i am a tuba player.

As far as physiological issues, yes, maybe on the whole females are "smaller." However, many females are larger than many males... what does this do to one sex being better suited than the other?

And as for being "cute," I don't think i ever was cute. My boyfriend might find me cute, but I believe it is to each his own. As someone who used to have very bad self-esteem, I might have cried realizing I couldn't ever be "attractive" since I play the tuba. Just in case, I don't resemble a guy in bodily shape (: In the end, I am happy being who I am...

In short, I am a tuba player because this is what I love to do. This is my identity, and I love it. I play the tuba for the same reasons any male might, and if I will never find a man who loves me for it, it is a sacrifice I will make for my art. My life is music, and teaching, and the tuba. I just wanted to share from my view, and let you know that maybe all of us female tubists are not the same. I can't speak for any others, just for myself. Hopefully this will debunk some of your beliefs, if not, I tried my best...

Respectfully,
-lisa
(really, i am NOT a feminist!)

Follow Ups: