Re: Re: Tubists and women

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on September 05, 2002 at 14:40:05:

In Reply to: Re: Tubists and women posted by from a female... on September 04, 2002 at 12:30:15:

I agree about the personality thing. I don't know how to put it in words, but it's there. Since I switched from violin to horn (and then of course took up tuba) I've been told three times that "You certainly have a brass player's personality!" (As opposed to a string player's personality.) I live in a town where four of the five hornists in the professional symphony are women, so there has been no lack of support for that undertaking. The reaction from other tubists in town when I took up tuba has been across the board friendly, enthusiastic, and helpful. Now, I am definitely not a tuba-sized person, am often described as cute, but the usual comment is ... "See, I keep telling people it doesn't take a lot of air to play tuba, and you're the perfect example!"

Volker, maybe you should consider that a woman takes up tuba for the same reasons as a man does....because she likes the sound and finds playing tuba enjoyable. It's not necessary to drag anything else into it. Do you suspect male piccolo players are trying to be more womanly?
MA

Follow Ups: