Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D on September 08, 2002 at 01:40:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by Doug on September 07, 2002 at 23:07:09:

Thank you both for a very real "intellectual" discussion.

Neither of you really learned this is school, which is my point. Teachers don't need defending, they need to teach. At the point of sounding visceral, teachers and their students would all be better off if they did not follow the curriculum set up by the so called "educators".

My parents were both teachers, so I grew up hearing about the so-called experts in the field of education. I think I was one of a few who learned that what was taught in school could be applied to the 'real' world. They both taught within the confines of what was expected while they were in the classroom. I learned from them when they were not in the class. My mother was a 6th grade teacher for many years who had some self paced reading books in her classroom. Pretty advanced for the 50's. She encouraged me to take a look. I did and finished off the 12th grade series in the 4th grade. To say that reading, writing, and correct grammar are important would be an understatement.

My dad was a junior high school math teacher. His class was the noisiest in the building, but boy could he teach math. It was interesting for his students and I learned more than my share of higher math at home.

My point about having to defend teachers comes from those days and the music education I got in college and beyond as a teacher myself. The schools of today, yesterday too I think, are and were set up as training grounds for the worker of tomorrow. Come to work on time, keep quiet, do your work, and go home. Home to work to home to.........

Learning to actually think for oneself usually comes at a sacrifice. You have to take the time to improve yourself. No one else will do it.

Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Follow Ups: