Re: Re: Re: tuba repair toolkit

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on September 11, 2002 at 18:47:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: tuba repair toolkit posted by Jay Bertolet on September 11, 2002 at 12:38:25:

You're right, I should lighten up. After all, the majority of tuba players I know would rather do their own shade tree mechanical work than bring the horn to me. They share that trait with sax players. :-)

In all seriousness, I want all players to have repairs done the correct way. I have had my share of experience with unqualified repair technicians that came through a repair school. I even hired a few of them and then let'em go when they cost me more than they earned me.

Messing around with your own horn is one thing, doing it for someone else and charging for the service is quite another, in my opinion. I see it in my own area and, frankly, think it stinks. The price charged is way too high for the quality of repair, but most people don't know the difference in a good price for a high quality repair and a high price for a low quality repair. All that person knows is that the high quality repair "costs" more.

Most people who do shade tree auto mechanics don't buy the same tools as the auto repair shop. They just won't spend the money. Perhaps the same is true of a shade tree tuba repairman. I have invested over $25,000 in tools. Does that make me good? Not unless you need something for which I have a tool and know how to fix it. Do I use a dent machine? Not unless I have to. I think hand work comes out better. What do my solder joints look like? Very clean, sometimes better than new, and when I finish, I buff and spot lacquer or spot silver plate them.

I have "fixed" way too many home repair jobs. I've even been asked to sell some repair tools and supplies to individuals. You may have guessed I don't like to try to fix someone elses mess and I never sell tools or supplies to individuals.

Follow Ups: