Re: Re: Re: Re: tuba repair toolkit

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl Hickman on September 12, 2002 at 00:18:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: tuba repair toolkit posted by David on September 11, 2002 at 18:47:34:

Not to push this debate any further, but...

1) Many graduates of a one year repair program have far greater theoretical knowledge AND sometimes greater experience than "seasoned" technicians that know only one way of doing a specific repair. I doubt that the two repair school graduates came through my program, if they did let me know who they are. I won't graduate - nor recommend - anyone that I wouldn't want working in my shop. Knowing the other two repair schools, I can't imagine them putting out any losers either. Of course, sometimes our do good/don't hurt Johnnie's feelings educational system does allow a few to slip though the cracks. The way you can determine the less than fully competent that may have slipped through my program is by looking at their graduation certificate. If you can read my signature clearly - beware. I do that so you can comprehend my name and contact me for further information. It amazes me still how some students get jobs and their new employers don't bother to contact me or look at their transcripts. Anyone who receives less than "A" in one of my classes problem isn't the greatest choice available.

2) If - in your opinion - "amateur" repair technicians shouldn't be sold tools, then perhaps "amateur" tuba players shouldn't be sold instruments. All of us non-top level symphony/military bandsmen should turn in there horns. There is no way we can do the job as well as Sam Pilafian, Pat Sheridan, Jim Self, etc.

My point - instrument repair isn't brain surgery. People don't die if they wreck their tuba trying to fix it themselves. If an individual chooses to take their horn to someone without checking references and/or seeing samples of their work, that's the chance they take.

For what it's worth, the college does offer short two to three week courses for you shadetree tuba repair technicians to learn the basics of soldering, dent removal and chemical cleaning. Contact me for more information.

Musically, Daryl

Follow Ups: