Re: Articulation....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on September 17, 2002 at 09:48:41:

In Reply to: Articulation.... posted by Matt C. on September 17, 2002 at 08:24:33:

Tongue placement is very personal and really doesn't matter all that much. I know of very competent trumpet players that tongue against the back of their lips(I don't think of it as going through the teeth). As long as the airflow is there and the buzz is good you should be fine. If the tongue is doing more than just bouncing off the air collumn(stopping the air) there will be problems regardless of tongue placement. From a technicians standpoint(which I am not) I think it makes a lot of sense to keep the tongue low and the airway as open and unobstructed as possible. Response is quicker when you keep everything forward. I for one tongue against the back of my upper lip regardless of the range. Even on the lick at the end of Symp. Fantastique going up to the Bb an octave above the bass cleff. If you have the right attitude a smooth legato is just as easy as a marcato regardless. Having been teaching private music lessons to high school and middle school kids for a while now it has been my observation that most quite naturally articulate against the upper lip anyhow without me ever bringing the subject up. Trumpet playing band directors have messed up a lot of kids that were already on the right track without knowing it.

just my humble opinion fwiw,
joseph

Follow Ups: