Re: tuning slide in leadpipe

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on September 26, 2002 at 21:51:48:

In Reply to: tuning slide in leadpipe posted by Scott Norberg on September 26, 2002 at 17:57:28:

Scott,
There is a reason that very few major manufacturers have built much of anything with a main tuning slide in the leadpipe since the 1920's. The main tuning slide after the valve section tends to give you a more stable instrument, in my opinion and experience.
There are exceptions, but they are just that. Since you are at repair school and have a lot of expertise at your disposal, I'd suggest the learning experience of replacing that knuckle, since the old valve section could probably use replating, anyway. That sort of silver-soldering job is quite do-able if you are patient, and the valve casings will be honed when they rebuild the valves, anyway. Using a shorter, straight leadpipe will allow you to have a full-size receiver fit better, and I think you will like the results better. If the instrument didn't have a main tuning slide after the original valveset, you can get one, probably for a BBb sousaphone and graft it in, or take the first lower branch, cut the crook out of it, and fabricate slide tubes. You'll be surprised what you can do if you persevere.
All the best,
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: