Re: tuning slide in leadpipe

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art H on September 26, 2002 at 22:51:48:

In Reply to: tuning slide in leadpipe posted by Scott Norberg on September 26, 2002 at 17:57:28:

Old BBb front-action Kings from the 1930's had tuning leadpipes. In fact there is one on ebay right now, with 4 valves. I had one when I was in high school; it had marvelous response and great intonation EXCEPT the high F (in the staff) was a mile sharp. By the mid '50's King had redesigned the horn, putting in a straight-to-the-valves leadpipe with the tuning slide after the valves. The sharp F problem was solved, but the middle-line D became slightly flat. (It had been perfect in the old design.)
One thing I like about tuning slides in the old King style is the ease with which I can yank out the slide, dump it, and pop it back in. Most of the water collects there, so you rarely have to dump soup from any other bend. With a straight lead pipe you tend to get water collecting in several places, requiring more effort to dispose of it. But you do get more of a "big fat tuba" feeling with a straight-to-the valves leadpipe.

Follow Ups: