Re: My Flea-Market Adventure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 04, 2003 at 10:58:22:

In Reply to: My Flea-Market Adventure posted by Rick Denney on September 03, 2003 at 14:19:14:

Thanks to all.

The 6-1/2AL is showing more than 3/8"--more like twice that. But I read somewhere that the older Olds pea-shooters had a slightly smaller receiver, so I'll look into having it reamed a hair.

I find that when I sit down to play, I need to switch back and forth between the trombone and the tuba fairly frequently. This keeps my chops from getting too tight, and it also reminds me where the pitches are, heh, heh. (And it reminds me why I like playing the tuba.)

For Klaus, my euph mouthpiece is a Steven Mead 4, and sometimes a 3. It's much larger than the 6-1/2AL, but then so is the euphonium in all respect except length. I was expecting suggestions of a smaller mouthpiece than the Bach, if anything. But I'll try to make the Bach physically fit and then persevere with it.

For what it's worth, the Trombone-L archive consensus seems to be that the old Olds Ambassador rates very highly among budget straight trombones of small bore. It's the only student model they seem to recommend to people when asked. Of course, I was unaware of this when I bought it.

Rick "learning just how much is sense of pitch is subject to corruption" Denney

Follow Ups: