Re: WHAT TUBAS ARE YOU USING FOR SOLO WORK?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on September 24, 2003 at 18:52:36:

In Reply to: WHAT TUBAS ARE YOU USING FOR SOLO WORK? posted by :) on September 24, 2003 at 08:08:33:

I will get to play five times as a guest artist this season; that is a LOT for me. So I do not own a solo tuba, per se, just using what I have when I need it for that rare endevour.

I will do most of the recital material on my YFB 621, which is my quintet horn for most things, and is my F for the orchestra as well. (Multi-purpose!) I might choose to do a couple of things on my Alexander 163 in these recitals. That is my main horn for the orchestra and for most freelance work, and also serves as a back-up quintet tuba. (Also multi-purpose!)

I don't make enough coin in my job to justify the expense of either a BAT or a "solo" tuba. I want more toys, but do not need more toys. I just use what I have, as do the vast majority of the people here, I am sure.

I am, of course, assuming that you are looking for info that would aid you in the search for a so-called "solo" tuba. Instead, just buy a tuba that you have fun playing, that makes a sound that you love, and that is appropriate for the type of playing you intend to do with it. For example: If you are going to try to play in a quintet for money, and are not going to do a whole lot of other things with that tuba, then you might not ought to buy an HB 50. If you are going to use it as your only tuba, you might look at a 186 or a Rudy 4/4.

Don't buy a "solo" tuba unless you are just filthy rich and really want one. In which case, you would not need our advice, as you could afford to go to each shop and factory and test 'em all! ( And buy one for me, too!!)

Good luck.

Wade "It is only a solo tuba when you actually solo somewhere; otherwise it is just a regular tuba" Rackley

Follow Ups: