Re: What's a good F tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on September 26, 2003 at 18:32:19:

In Reply to: What's a good F tuba? posted by Jerry on September 26, 2003 at 14:55:35:

From small to large, I would rate my favorites this way;

1) The smaller 5-rotor Walter Hilgers model Meinl-Weston F, silver-plated, is the sweetest-sounding and playing small F on the planet, but is rarely imported to the US.

2) The 5-rotor 4/4 Rudolf Meinl F tuba is very nearly as sweet-sounding and responding, and is just enough bigger to make a great do-everything F.

3) If you like a larger F, the Rudolf Meinl 5/4 F can hold its own in an orchestra as well as many CC tubas, and is simply a great instrument. Both this model and the smaller Rudi can be had in a variety of configurations.

4) If you must have a large, piston-valve F tuba, the Willson piston-valve F tuba very much belongs in this elite group of the finest-crafted tubas in the world. In the hands of a strong player this instrument will produce massive, top-quality sound. The owner of such an instrument could probably get by with not owning a CC tuba.

5) In 1998 I bought a Cerveny CFB654-6 "Harmony model" F tuba, which I used extensively during my last three years in the US Army as a Bandsman. This instrument is a 6-valve model, with a thumb-operated quint valve. This Cerveny is a wonderful solo instrument that worked well for me as a soloist as well as in small ensembles. The tone color, response, intonation, and flexibility rated amongst the best of any F tuba I've played. And, with the quint valve (lowers the horn a full 5th via a .830" bore rotor past the main tuning slide), the low range was just as easy as the high register. Unfortunately, there are very few of these that have been imported, either.

There are a number of good choices out there, and the only way to find out what works for you is like clothes shopping - go try it on, and see if it really fits!

Lee Stofer

There are a number of good choices out there

Follow Ups: