Re: Re: Re: Re: No decent New F tubas on the market (me out-of-step? too picky?)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 15, 1999 at 15:42:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: No decent New F tubas on the market (me out-of-step? too picky?) posted by Joe Sellmansberger on April 15, 1999 at 11:54:14:

Isn't it amazing the way "modern technology" is affecting our development of the modern tuba? I didn't say so in my original post but Joe has hit on something I've been watching for quite some time now. During the last 30 or so years, manufacturers have been touting their instruments as having the most modern and innovative designs ever. Some used "playtesters" as a selling point while others would highlight certain aspects of their design as "revolutionary". And yet the most popular tubas going are copies of older instruments, circa 1910-1930. If you look back at all the design enhancements that have been called "the next best thing" and see how many of them have endured, you might get a perspective on how difficult it is to come up with a really solid design. At some point, someone with a little money and alot of brains is going to come along and start reproducing these incredible old instruments using modern production techniques and make a fortune (if a fortune can be made selling tubas). I'll be honest, I just can't wait!

Follow Ups: