Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No decent New F tubas on the market (me out-of-step? too picky?)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on April 15, 1999 at 16:07:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: No decent New F tubas on the market (me out-of-step? too picky?) posted by Jay Bertolet on April 15, 1999 at 15:42:29:

Are "modern techniques" really such a good thing though? Horns use to be a craft which was apprenticed and passed down. Horns were handbuilt which allowed for some great instruments to come out. Granted, handbuilding can also inspire inconsistant instruments, but a careful search can turn up some good horns. Many of today's machine built instruments are very consitently mediocre. I do think that the general level of mediocrity has improved with modern technology. This means that the average horn today is perhaps a better playing instrument than those from the early part of this century.

I do think there are some good new designs coming out from the Perantucci instruments. Meinl Weston also seems to be one to experiment, as does Yamaha. Others like Miraphone, Cerveny, and Rudy Meinl don't seem to be very active. I don't think I would claim the newer B&S's or Yamahas as being copies of old designs.

Hirsbrunner has had a good deal of Conn and York influence, and Nirschl has been heavy on the York thing lately. So to that end I would agree.

If you come up with too radical of a design change, too quickly, then either you start a craze, such as Monette trumpets, or you flop, like Kurath tubas. As musicians we generally need to meet the expectations of the ears which have been trained, through years of listening, to appreciate a general sound concept. Make a dramatic change, like auditioning with only an F tuba at an American orchestral audition, and you will alienate your audience.

Maybe this is part of the reason why we try to emulate the past with new "twists". Sorta like why people 10 years ago started to wear tie die again, today are wearing bell bottoms, and tommorrow will start wearing parachute pants and fingerless leather gloves on one hand. Phased continuity over time.

sean

Follow Ups: