Re: Re: tips from military band members?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Forbes on April 23, 2001 at 18:44:59:

In Reply to: Re: tips from military band members? posted by David Zerkel on April 22, 2001 at 22:31:12:

A complete diddo on "read anything you can get your hands on." Sightreading is VERY often stressed in military auditions (and in some bands more than others). If you have encountered a greater degree of rhythms and intervallic obsticles than your competitors, you will probably win the audition because you have a greater breadth of "experience" to draw upon. As Dave said, music is a language, and the more familiar with it that you are, the better off you'll be. That being said, if you know all the words in that given language, that doesn't mean that you necessarily know how to use them. So, in sightreading, when things start to go bad, you must think of yourself on a sinking ship--take only what you can...you can't take everything...I would suggest you grab the rhythm suitcase! Never stop. The boat's going down, regardless, but you CAN hang on to a life-preserver.

On the topic of music, I would love to agree with Dave, and maybe times have changed in "Pershing's Own" since he was there, or maybe I just need to clarify this topic a bit. I have auditioned for the concert band (from the ceremonial band) 2 times, and lost both times. After both auditions, I spoke with the judges and the comment, "Wow, Mike, you definitely were the most MUSICAL applicant, but sorry--these other guys 'just don't miss.'" ...and there you have it. I phrased the hell out of the prepared solo, the sight-reading, or whatever Rochut or Snedecor etude was required, and unfortunately, I feel that it fell upon deaf ears....OR, ears that didn't think that "it should go that way" were thus confused with my interpretation. But I think more than anything else, the judges are thinking, could I imagine this guy playing in a section of FOUR tubas?

This is the biggest point that I'm trying to make. After reconsidering how I played in both of my concert band auditions, even I realized that I was going at this thing all wrong. They ask for dynamic solos and beautiful etudes, but they want to hear straight-ahead, "band playing." I played the solo, as a soloist and the orchestral excerpts like an orchestra musician--I couldn't have been more wrong...PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!

In an orchestra, you are sitting in a solo chair, and have certain musical liberties to play, for the most part, how you think it should be played (while naturally enhancing the MUSIC to the best of your educated ability, while also blending with the trombones and supporting the rest of the brass choir and orchestra, and doing what the conductor requests). In a concert band (military band) your role is significantly different. You must be a team player...so what does that mean? It means you must imagine everthing that you do, multiplied by 3 other players!!! That means, your orchestral FF is probably too much. It means your crescendos probably go to far. It means your accents are too hammered and your staccatos are too secco. It means your rubato in solo passages are simply too much.

Now this differs player to player, obviously. I am the first to admit that I exaggerate the hell out of just about everything on the page, then comb it back a bit after I record myself and figure out what I'm trying to say with the music. As a soloist, I comb it back only a little, as an orchestral musician, I comb back the rubato and vibrato quite a bit, while keeping the dynamics fairly full and articulations very clear "out front." In the U.S Army Band, I've learned to play always between mp and mf, sing each note with the most beautiful sound I can muster (sometimes regardless of the printed articulations), and stay within the MOLD of a military bandsman. We are musicians, yes, but we're also soldiers who MUST conform to a team. "Army of One." You've heard the ad. This is the greatest bit of advice I can give to my fellow musicians who are interested in the military bands. Be ready to "tone it down" and play like you're part of a section--even, if the prepared music is a solo or orchestral excerpt...play it like you're in the section!

All this being said, if you are the kind of musician that is ALWAYS being asked to exaggerate the dynamics, clarify the printed articulations, sing more on the phrases, or have a better overall "musical concept," many of the remarks I have made may not necessarily apply to you. In which case, again, I'd agree with Dave that if two players play with an equally great sound, in time, in tune, and with ALL the right notes, they will indeed choose the one that plays more musically. But they certainly will NOT pick the best musician whose basic fundamentals are not in place. Musicianship certianly plays a role, just not the most vital one in the world of military band auditions. Be a team player.

Mike Forbes

Follow Ups: