Re: tips from military band members?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Zerkel on April 22, 2001 at 22:31:12:

In Reply to: tips from military band members? posted by Alex Lapins on April 22, 2001 at 22:10:58:

Back in the day, I read absolutely ANYTHING that I could get my hands on... band parts, unfamiliar etudes for different instruments, obscure orchestra rep...anything. The end result was, I had a wider base of knowledge for many different kinds of music, my chops were in great shape and I felt like there wasn't anything that they could put in front of mme that would freak me out.

Well, I was wrong. They did manage to put a few things in front of me that freaked me out! Since you have a great music library at your disposal, go check out a fistful of bassoon etudes, a fistful of trumpet solos and a fistful of the next thing you happen to walk by. Take them into your practice room and play every note on every page. If the piece is in multiple meters, practice counting through the 5/8& 7/8 rests.

Being a successful reader will make you a successful musician. It's the same principal as learning a foriegn language...the best way to become fluent is to totally immerse yourself in the language.

Also, strip yourself of any preconceived notions that you might possess about the bands looking primarily for technical mastery. The best musician is the one who wins the gig. If they were looking for technical brilliance, I'd probably be super-sizing extra-value meals today. It's all about the music!

Good luck!

All the best,
Dave Zerkel

Follow Ups: