Re: Hungarian March: CC or F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 07, 2001 at 08:35:04:

In Reply to: Hungarian March: CC or F posted by Andy Smith on August 06, 2001 at 19:55:50:

I always try to remember the historical context of a piece when choosing which tuba to use. Clearly, a contrabass tuba is not what Berlioz would have heard when writing this piece. A bass tuba is much more logical. Also, remember that this lick (except for the opening arpeggio) is in UNISON with the trombones. Not octaves, but unison with the bass and 2nd trombone players. This is not a solo, it is a soli. Intonation, blend, and uniformity of style are the key points. Which brings up another interesting point. Do you play this excerpt in an audition differently if you are playing it by yourself from when you play it with the section? I've never seen this particular excerpt asked in the section portion of an audition but it would be logical to see it. This excerpt is perpetually asked in the early rounds so I think it would be interesting to see how a given player would change or not when playing it alone or with the section. Whatever you decide to do, I would encourage you to approach the piece from the merits of the composition rather than as a tuba jock, trying to blow the walls down. Interpret the piece in all its aspects!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: