Re: Re: Re: Mouthpiece Modifications

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on August 23, 2001 at 01:15:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Mouthpiece Modifications posted by Tracy B. on August 22, 2001 at 21:43:44:

Tracy,

Unless Conn has changed the design over the years, the 7B already has a fairly good size backbore. I know these m.p.'a have a good reputation but I actually find them a bit "bright" sounding, and the big backbore contributes to that. Your m.p. just might become even brighter by further opening up the backbore. You may want to consider just boring open the throat a tiny bit more. I believe that's exactly what Floyd Cooley has done on his Helleberg design (see Floyd's website). If you do have the backbore opened further, you may want to have it just flared out a bit near the very end. Schilke could probably do that very accurately for you, but it would mean sending your m.p. away for a while. You might want to get yourself a spare, just in case you don't like the results. I've known lots of trumpet players (mostly jazz guys) who've fooled around having their m.p. throats and backbores opened up, and they weren't always happy with the results.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: