Re: St. Petersburg Tubas---What Do You Know?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on December 10, 1999 at 21:35:46:

In Reply to: St. Petersburg Tubas---What Do You Know? posted by T on December 10, 1999 at 19:26:36:

I have had an interest in them also. They seem to be bought most by schools and young players looking to save money. Go to the "The Tuba" site as recommended by Chuck and follow through with the "customer reports" and request Emails with their appraisals. This is one of the best ways to find out about these horns. The horn can be bought for under 1000.00 but the work to upgrade is extensive. That is why The Tuba Exchange's price on them is 2900.00. "The Tuba" is in Germany and is a direct import to you and so involves all of the hassels implied with that. "The Exchange" does all of that for you.
"The Tuba" will do all of the upgrade for you also,but you have to take care of import stuff yourself. All of these things are explained by "The Tuba" and the customer reports.
The main complaint is with the valves in their original condition. Some of the guys have taken the horn at its lowest price an honed it ungraded the "machine" themselves, apparently with a great deal of satisfation as to their own contribution, "build your own tuba" so to speak. One sold on Ebay recently for 2175.00. It was all original so his remarks were that it played quite well so long as you did not want a lot of speed in the technical aspects of the valves. Follow the "reports" carefully. If you select the right ones you will get an education regarding this horn. If you do not feel comfortable with the rebuilding aspects, the price is nearly 3000. You can't do anything about that. But the horn apparently will play pretty well as it comes from "The Tuba" from what I was told, if you don't expect too much. These are not Mirafones. One fellow in San Jose is having a ball rebuilding his, but that's not for everyone. Check out about six of the "reports" and you will know about what you have to know if you are heading in the direction of that horn. I am able to do the work myself, so it is in my consideration to get one. They are cheap! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jim

t1bx4pax(AT)aol.com

Follow Ups: