Re: Re: Re: Bruckner and the Art of Interpretation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on December 13, 2000 at 23:44:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Bruckner and the Art of Interpretation posted by Chuck Jackson on December 13, 2000 at 22:57:22:

The problem with Chicago Bruckner (if you hear it as a problem) is that it became a staple of Solti repertoire for nearly 30 years. When Solti found himself at the head of a virtuoso American orchestra, he chose to emphasize its virtuosity in all repertoire. That meant razor edge precision, and in the case of the brass, power to the point of self-parody at times. In Bruckner it could be deadly. You had Sir Georg demanding all the testosterone he could get from the back row. They were happy to oblige.

On recordings, we get some relief, a Giulini 9th on EMI, very emotional performance, but with the hormones under control. Barenboim did a complete cycle for DG in the 70s and 80s as a guest conductor. A complete box set was issued on CD but is long out of print. A two-fer of 4/7 has been issued. This would be more to the liking of those who admire the European approach. It's still unmistakably CSO, but it's neither as tightly coiled or aggressively loud as Solti. My favorites from the Barenboim/CSO cycle, aside from the 7th, are the 5th and 8th. The brass playing is quite powerful, but Barenboim cultivates a broad and noble character of playing, and does not cause forcing. BTW, I heard Barenboim do a magnificent 9th with Vienna in Carnegie Hall a couple of years ago, and let me tell you - those mothers can play LOUD too.

This is almost over -- I've mentioned this before. . .The kind of listeners that are responding to this thread need to get the VAI Video of Hindemith conducting the CSO for a TV concert. It's only the first movement of the 7th, but it's enough to give you an idea of the concept. The approach is similar to the Klemperer/Philharmonia performances. Structure and inner illumination, not external spotlighting. If you like that loose European thing, you'll love hearing it done in that 1960 CSO sound.

Follow Ups: