Re: Re: Re: Re: 4-valve side action euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 28, 2000 at 18:30:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: 4-valve side action euphonium posted by Rick Denney on December 28, 2000 at 12:56:08:

Rick!

In varying public contexts you have reported a number of good experiences during 2000..Congratulations!

However you are, at least in my opinion, programming a disappointment of your new-old euph.

Back in 1974 I had the chance to test the then new Willson 4 front action pistons comp euph. I do not remeber too much of the specifics, only the painfully acute reason for not buying it: I could not afford it!

So I do not doub the qualities of Chuck’s euph. Chuck, likewise in opem forums, has told of an eye condition making the left turned bell a must for his abilities to read the music and watch the conductor.

I do not think, that the divide among comp euphs is between top or side valved models, but between well and less well made instruments.

Besson/B&H comp euphs are not my personal favourites, but one has to remember, that the euphs from this maker pretty much defined the very instrument for around a century.

Go for the strong sides of your new/old euph. Do not see it as a replacement for something you can not afford within a shorter time horizon anyway (I do know nothing about your economics apart from your own public outings).

You have abilities with tools as well as workshop options, that I would like to have.

As far as I understand the state of your new/old euph, you will have to unsoldert the bell and bell bottom anyway. Which implies an unsoldering of the leadpipe.

What about making the leadpipe exchangeable. That would take some clamps and other devices, that you knowmuch better than I do.

The benefit might not be immediate. But over time you might discover leadpipes with relevant end bores, that could make your new/old euph a very versatile tool for music making.

Klaus

Follow Ups: