Re: Negative thoughts - help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by realistic thoughts? on December 01, 2001 at 20:44:46:

In Reply to: Negative thoughts - help! posted by John Tuba on December 01, 2001 at 19:59:52:

Following is a philosophical musing from an electrical engineer who has never needed to rely on his musical talents (or lack thereof) to make a living. So these are observations "from the outside", based on my understanding of the job market in engineering fields, and the way that certain specialty jobs fall in and out of favor over the years. I would consider a professional, symphonic tubist to be a very specialized profession, with very limited job opportunities, similar to many jobs out there in many fields. So, with this disclaimer firmly in mind . . . .

I'm not intending to be too pessimistic, nor critical here -- you're way ahead of my ability, "sound un-heard", based on your area and level of study. But a recent thread talked about the amount of serious tubists-in-training, and the quantity of "high-end" openings that come up each year. Part of your concern may not be "negative thoughts", they may be (unfortunately) "realistic thoughts".

It sounds to me from your post that you're sticking with it and making the sacrifices. But with limited opportunities, it would seem to me that you could continue down this road for your entire life, and that things might not change substantially, because there are a number of things that have to all line up: talent, hard work, circumstances, and a bit of luck. Are you willing to stay with your current standard of living indefinitely, and make these sacrifices for the possibility of professional success? If so, then having considered the cost, move ahead. If the cost is too great, then go to Plan B (whatever that is). This isn't negative thinking, it's very responsible, realistic thinking, IMO.

[my situation:] I'm enjoying the amateur playing opportunities I have in a small city that are a blast to be involved with, but could never pay the bills. There have to be a multitude of these types of opportunities around, where you can truly enjoy your abilities, and so can your audience. It doesn't have to be with a major symphony, for you and your audience to have a lot of fun. While there are opportunities out there, I sure wish our society were more music-conscious, and that there were more high quality amateur or semi-pro groups around, and that people would support them. We'd all be richer for it.

Good luck with your decision,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: