Re: Re: Re: Recreation and relaxation, which Tuba ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 10, 2001 at 19:37:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Recreation and relaxation, which Tuba ? posted by Klaus on December 10, 2001 at 16:59:51:

There is a lot of merit in your argument, but the fellow has a few recordings of tuba playing and is clearly drawn to the tuba sound. This is the same snare that trapped many of us, and for us the euphonium, despite the advantages you cite, does not satisfy. So, I was limiting myself to the questions he has asked, rather than posing a new one. You had already done that eloquently, and now you have provided more weight to your argument.

But I hope there are teachers not so demanding of purity of purpose as you. It is enough to get started, and pointed in the right direction for producing the sound that he hears on the recordings. If he finds limitations for his stated purpose, he will balance those with other pursuits.

How many of us (who are old enough to have participated in the computer revolution) rationalized our first computer by listing all the things we would do with it? How many of us actually did those things? I have never stored recipes or other home inventories on my computers, and didn't use it for balancing my checkbook until many years after I bought my first one, but both those purposes were on the list. The fact is, I just wanted a computer to play with, and my stated purpose was immaterial. True purposes emerged in the fullness of time. I suspect that there may be an element of the same in Mr. Newbe, whether he realizes it or not. If so, only a real tuba will scratch the itch.

Rick "who bought his York Master without a regular group to play it in" Denney

Follow Ups: