Re: Related tensions in windplayers' bodies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 10, 2001 at 22:21:03:

In Reply to: Related tensions in windplayers' bodies posted by Klaus on December 10, 2001 at 21:59:30:

The weird thing is that I have huge hands. I mean, really large. I can palm a basketball, and easily play an 11th interval on a piano. The ring is a size 13, but my fingers to not look fat. There's no way in the world I can fit my fingers between the black keys on a piano. My hands go with my size 15 feet.

So, I don't know who these valves were designed for. How do you do it on your YM?

Part of it is that when the tuba is properly positioned for my mouth, my elbow is too high, which turns my arm at the wrong angle. My forefinger overlaps the first valve by an inch. So, raising the tuba and lowering the leadpipe by about an inch and a half would be about right, but it's not something I want to do without some really careful thinking.

Moving the thumb ring is only part of the picture. I've been tempted to get a VMI 3301 thumb ring assembly, which is adjustible up and down on the instrument. I still might, if I can find someone who can order it for me. But I think it will still come down to the leadpipe.

But I don't think the tension resulting from the slight reach for the fourth valve is causing me troubles in the low register. I can play a low F with is much tone and power as any other note, and I have no trouble with the false-tone Eb below it, and I can even tune a 1-4 low Eb with a slide pull. Below that, it starts to get weak, and the pedal is only there on good days, and that requires the fourth valve not at all. I do agree, however, that it is tension that causes the problem. Too much of it everywhere on my face, and not enough of it in the corners of my embouchure. I'm working on it.

Rick "who no longer notices the reach for the fourth valve" Denney

Follow Ups: