Re: Ho Ho Holton!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by OUTSTANDING!! on December 21, 2002 at 01:30:28:

In Reply to: Ho Ho Holton! posted by Rick Denney on December 20, 2002 at 23:33:28:

Rick,

That's just great news! Merry Christmas.

I just came back from playing a Cantata (The Winter Rose) with my 345, and logged on to see your report. Keating's horn and my horn were so similar in character that it amazed all of us, so I suspect I have a very good idea of what you're being blown over by. Even when they're wounded, they're magical.

I have even more good news for you...you won't truly understand the power of the instrument until you get it into an orchestral hall sized space and punch some serious air through it. About a month ago I had my first chance to play the horn in a really big space, one large enough to have a complete absence of back pressure. I played with a 13 piece brass ensemble for 3 services at University Presbyterian Church in Seattle. We played several pieces (Diadem, Rigaudon) where the ensemble, the congregation, and the pipe organ all really open up together. This is a sanctuary seating about 1400 (full at all 3 services),accompanied by Reuter Organ Opus 2196, a 7000 pipe pipe organ, the second largest west of the Mississippi. You know how pipe organs tend to burry tuba's down in the low register? Now throw in 1400 singers. Get burried? Not the Holton, baby!! The organist couldn't believe the sound of the tuba down low. Take it into a big hall where there's no resistance. I kid you not, you can move a deep breath cycle through the horn every two beats, anwhere in the register, and it doesn't break...it just gets bigger and better. I didn't really understand the horn until then. You think you understand it's power now...but you don't. Sooner or later, when the opportunity comes up, you'll see. Dale, who's played a lot of tubas, will tell you...when it comes to sheer power, NOTHING matches the 345. As much as Keating loves his Fafner, he made it perfectly clear, when it was time for Wagner...well, wanna guess?

But, of course, as you learned today, it's no one trick pony. Play a duet with a flute if you like.

Send Dan your serial number, and he'll date if for you. This summer, I'm having the balance of the "Oberloh", including silver plating. I can't wait.

And to top it all off, you got a great deal, IMO. Good move.

Tony "no longer feeling evil" E

Follow Ups: