Ho Ho Holton II (or III?)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DS on December 23, 2002 at 12:20:27:

OK,

Last night I apparently made my first successful E-Bay purchase; an older Holton 4 valve BBb Tuba (heheh). Now I need a whole lot of advice and counselling (my wife thinks I need counselling too, but that's a different story!) I have a number of questions, sorry they are in no particular order, but I really do appreciate all responses. And to put things into context, bidding ended at $3550 (so that's what I have into the horn already).

1. I had intended to send the horn to Oberloh (a la Tony E's resurrection). However, I am torn; should I play the horn first and see how it sounds, or just send it to Oberloh? I live in Canada, 7 hours directly north of Montana border, so if I take delivery here it means shipping two extra times (eventually). I am not as concerned about cosmetics (this will be a player) but more interested in the improved "performance" TonyE got. Maybe it needs nothing, and I could play as is...?

2. Seller says horn has 3 small cracks in bell flare. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm not a repairman and I am an amateur player to boot (although I've heard worse). Will these cracks affect tone quality noticeably?

3. The cracks are very difficult to see in the pictures, so an overall question; IN GENERAL, can this type of crack in the bell be successfully REPAIRED (as opposed to replacing the bell), or is that a waste of time, i.e. repair reduces tone quality?

4. A respected regular contributor (I think we can say that about dp, right?) has available a mint NEW bell. Is it worth spending the money on that?

Thanks in advance for any and all reponses. I may come back with more questions later.

Dietmar (sometimes, but rarely, posting as DS) Sedens

PS - Yes, I am just a little bit excited about playing this horn, and may have a very mint BBb 186 for sale if everything works the way I want it too...

Follow Ups: