Re: Re: Re: Re: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 31, 2002 at 16:25:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D? posted by Alex C on December 31, 2002 at 16:08:35:

In my youth (not so long ago compared to some of you geezers), the standard term for tuba was "bass horn" and for euphonium was "baritone horn". It didn't matter what the instrument in question actually was, whether it was a sousaphone or a Miraphone.

I suspect the "Recording Bass" with the forward bell is parallel to the "Concert Bass" with the upright bell. For the life of me, I can't see any design differences between a "concert bass" and a "tuba" that are not completely overshadowed by differences between things called tubas. The notion that the Conn 2xJ was called a bass because it was designed to be used in lieu of a string bass just doesn't seem to fit other uses of the terms, though I know that it was advertised for that purpose. The old York catalog uses the term "bass" routinely instead of tuba, as in Monster Eb Bass, Concert Bass, and so on. And the Conn 36J, a tuba by any standards, is an Orchestra Grand Bass.

Rick "who thinks the term 'tuba' was not as universal in the past as it is now" Denney

Follow Ups: