Re: while on the topic of bass trombones...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Carter on December 10, 2003 at 16:33:18:

In Reply to: while on the topic of bass trombones... posted by bloke on December 10, 2003 at 14:39:11:

You said bass trombone players just don't get it. Well, the musicianship to play in the a style that's effective for the ensemble is needed on all players. It's true that I've heard a lot of tuba players play some omm pah pah parts in an idiomatic style. This can range from effective imitation of a string bass type of sound to questionable extremes of adding articulations and even notes that aren't indicated. Bass trombone players are sometimes stuck in the middle. I remember playing in orchestra one time when the lower strings started a staccato bass line and some time later the line was continued in the bass trombone. I tried to imitate the effective length of notes as played by the lower strings. The first trombone asked me to play the notes shorter. I asked him if he was listening to the strings who started the passage. Personally I don't like it when the strings play one style and the winds play another style as if they are not even in the same ensemble. The point of all this is there is no dogmatic answer that I'm right and your wrong, but all must be willing to listen and match styles for good ensemble.

Follow Ups: