Re: Eb / F and CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 27, 2000 at 15:34:11:

In Reply to: Eb / F and CC posted by Steve Dedman on February 27, 2000 at 14:32:16:

To keep from diving too far into the realm of stereotyping, let me preface my remarks by saying that my conceptions of the Eb/F comparison are the product of my years of experience with both instruments. While I may make generalizations in my statements, they are in no way meant to be absolutes. Keep in mind there are always exceptions. With that caveat:

My concept of a characteristic Eb tuba sound is like a somewhat light CC sound. In practical terms, the sounds of my Willson Eb and a small CC tuba, like the Yamaha YCB621, are very similar. You get a bigger sound, better low range, not as easy a sound in the upper range, and an overall feel very similar to that of a CC tuba, albeit a small one, than you get with an F tuba.

My concept of a characteristic F tuba sound is closer to that of a euphonium than a tuba. You get a smaller sound, an easy sounding high range, a real sweetness to the sound (lack of edge if done right), but a worse low range and a feel that is very different from the typical CC tuba.

Neither sound is better than the other, aside from your own personal tastes, but each has its own better and worse applications. In my opinion, the Eb tuba is a better ensemble tuba with a little more versatility. I think the F tuba is a better solo instrument. Both sound good in quintets though I imagine the F is alot more work with some of the lower quintet parts.

My impression is that the financial differences between the two are quickly diminishing. The most expensive Eb tubas cost nearly as much as the most expensive F tubas. And I would say that the overall quality of the two are nearly identical, in as much as the quality control of different manufacturers remains constant.

The reason I say my Cervany AEB641 plays like an F tuba is because if you look at the above "definitions", the 641 clearly falls into the F category. And the design of the tuba would seem to support this because the design is very similar to the typical F tuba design. And the fact that it plays and sounds like an F tuba, only in Eb, is the main reason I bought it. Having a tuba that sounds like an F, but plays in Eb, saves me from having to learn a whole new set of fingerings and keeps my whole setup more consistent and simpler. I would look for an F tuba type sound, if I could find one in an Eb, because it is valuable to me in my situation to have a few options when considering what equipment to use on a given piece. I really enjoy having a tuba like the Cervany that can sound similar to a fine F tuba for such a low price. When I was searching for a smaller Eb, I heard a rumor that Yamaha was making their YFB621 in Eb also. I tried one of the YFB621's on a trial and I liked it so much that I almost bought it. But ultimately, it had too many intonation problems and then I ran into the Cervany. I never did find out if Yamaha produced any Eb versions of the 621 but I would definitely look at that tuba as another option for a smaller Eb tuba.

I have evolved over the years in my approach from using two tubas to my current setup of four. I think I'm learning that more is always better. The more options, the better your chance of finding just the right one. My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: