Re: Re: Re: Re: Human Error in Tuba Making

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr. Curious on February 07, 2001 at 10:48:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Human Error in Tuba Making posted by Joe S. on February 07, 2001 at 01:46:37:

Joe,

If I brought my tuba to a repairman to fix a dented tuning crook and in repairing it, he closed a gap in the tubing, that would be understandable. My tuba was there to get the thumb ring moved.

This is the same repairman who stood in the showroom weeks earlier and listened to me play several of the same model of tuba, helping me to decide on one tuba, the one that was the best match for me.

I posed a question of whether small discrepencies affected the individual sound of an instrument. Several people, including yourself and Matt W. said very possibly yes. Then isn't it fair to say that the manufacturing flaws later found in this tuba gave that particular horn an individuality that drew me to it in the first place? Why then, would this repairman, without consulting me, knowingly take steps to change the way the instrument plays?

If this thread helps an arrogant repairman think twice before making an unwanted repair, then I believe it has served its purpose.

Follow Ups: