Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Human Error in Tuba Making

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 07, 2001 at 20:28:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Human Error in Tuba Making posted by Mr. Curious on February 07, 2001 at 10:48:56:

I suppose, but - just like my open strong disapproval of making public negative comments about schools' of music studio teachers - I think this issue would have been far more appropriately taken up PRIVATELY with the guy who did the stuff.

Ironically, my own arrogance affects me in just about the opposite way: If someone comes in wanting something specific done (and I agree to DO it, which is not a given), I JUST do THAT thing, because I want to get right back to what I was doing before that. Further, if a player asks my advice regarding some possible change in their instrument, I won't give any advice until I hear them play. Unless their playing impresses me, I will tell them, "I don't know." which is my euphemism for "Hey, sorry, but it just won't make any difference in my opinion, and I don't like to engage myself in things that I perceive as pointless. That's one of the main reasons that I am self-employed."

********** (more, if you care to read...)

Many of the players who are at the top of their game, unpredictably, are absolutely the most trusting and the least likely to blame a repairman for their musical shortcomings:

*I have a friend who is called sometimes to play 2nd or 4th trumpet with the Chicago Symphony. I've known and have played jobs with him for many years and have kept all of his horns up, in addition to having sold him a few of them. He came in prior to playing with the C.S.O. for the very first time wanting a regular Bach "C" trumpet, because HIS "C" was a very expensive handmade instrument, and he didn't want to walk into the C.S.O. trumpet section with any perceptions of him being a smart-ass. I only had one Bach C in stock. He played one scale on it and said, "Great. Do you take Discover?"... his ONLY question to me about a trumpet that he was purchasing EXCLUSIVELY to play with the C.S.O...no questions about: "Joe, when I'm playing, what do you think of the projection, quality of sound, [or any other of that sort of horse----]" Even MORE ironic is the fact that THAT PARTICULAR TRUMPET was sold to me by a college boy, who said that the reason he was getting rid of the Bach "C" was because "I am having a trumpet handmade to MY PERSONAL specifications." [Sorry, but Joe then thinks: "Yeah, right."]... ' not good enough for a college boy, but good enough for the C.S.O.

*Another example of professional humility is another longtime friend and gig pal, Ryan Anthony, the new trumpeter with the Canadian Brass. When he wants something changed on one of his trumpets, he will call me and ASK if I have time to "blah-blah-blah" and if I am WILLING to "blah-blah-blah..." In contrast, sometimes when local amateur musicians approach me at public events, The first words out of their mouths aren't "Hi Joe! How are you? It's good to see you!" but rather, "HEY JOE! I'm going to -LET- you clean out my horn tomorrow! It's getting so dirty that I can't...etc."

Enough. I guess I'm just hopelessly locked into being Mr. Bad-guy, Mr. Selfish, and Mr. Arrogant. Go ahead and blame the repair guy who was trying to make something work better for you. Once and for all let's put a stop to those mean ol' dime-a-dozen tuba fixers.

Follow Ups: