Spec for B&H Imperial tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jenny on February 27, 2003 at 10:48:57:

Hi everyone,

OK a few problems over here in the UK and I am hoping for some advice as the best way to go with this one! I know this seems like deja vou (is that how you spell it?) with me but I am just a player not a technicial wizard on what matches and what doesn't.

I have been offered a Boosey & Hawkes 1970's EEb Imperial, 4 valve, compensating, 15 inch bell up tuba all overhauled and replated for a very reasonable price. I have agreed to buy this instrument for marching, christmas concerts, a spare etc. As the instrument is not yet done I can 'customise' it to my liking. I wrote on this board back in July 2002 re Imperial tubas and everyone suggested I put a 19 inch bell and large receiver/leadpipe on it. I've looked into buying a new bell and they cost over £600 (approx $900) which seems a little expensive on something only costing £1000 ($1500). To replace the pipes would cost only £30 ($45) which seemed worth doing to be able to use the 'larger' shank mouthpieces. So my thoughts were stick with the smaller bell and change the pipes, easy! However...... I have heard comments that the bell matches the pipes and by changing one and not the other I will ruin the tone, intonation, tuning, etc. Is this true? I prefer the older B&H to the newer Bessons as they have a more mellow tone which I wouldn't want to lose nor mess up the intonation. Please help as I am really confussed!! If anyone knows where I could get a 19 inch (981/982) or even 17 inch (980) Besson bell (or any compatable bell) for less than £900, please let me know. Second hand, lacquered, brass, whatever as it will be plated anyway.

Thanks, Jenny (who should just stick to playing and not worry about how it all works)

Follow Ups: