Re: VW

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SD on January 21, 2001 at 00:26:56:

In Reply to: VW posted by SD on January 20, 2001 at 00:16:24:

Hello Again,

First of all thank you for the comments they have been very informative. I would kind of like to clear up what happened with the audition and why I am only now a short time before the audition, trying to relearn this solo.

The other person that I am auditioning against is gentleman who also gives me private lessons when I can get down to where he teaches. I am currently a elementary/middle school band director. I am very fond of this teacher and feel that he has taught me a lot about being a better player.

When I found out about the audition he encouraged me to go for it. The orchestra has been horrible at best about supplying information about specifics for the audition itself. This is a totally different subject to be expounded upon at a later time.

I asked my instructor what solo he was going to play and he stated that he thought he would work on the VW. I had been working on the Gregson for about three weeks and so I thought that it would be the piece I would use. My instructor had played the Gregson quite a few times in his career so I thought it was going to be great that he was not playing it.

After he came back from break he informed me that he had not been able to find his copy of the VW and had worked on the Gregson. Knowing full well that he could more than likely kill me with the Gregson I decided to make a shift to the VW a couple of weeks ago.

The only real killer for me is the lick that starts with an eighth note rest and is followed by F,G flat, B flat and s few more notes. I will be honest and say that I am not sure I will ever be able to get those notes to speak well on my F. This was a problem back in school and it is still a problem. Probably will be until Vaughan Williams comes and drags me away in my sleep for not being able to do his piece justice.

I play the 2nd movement quite well. It is the only piece of music that I can play that gives ME goosebumps while I am playing it. I believe if the tuba truly could sing that this movement is what it would sing.

I enjoy any and all comments and may you all have a good day filled with low sounds!

Sean D.

Follow Ups: