Re: Re: Re: looking to buy MW2155

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 17, 2002 at 13:59:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: looking to buy MW2155 posted by Jay Bertolet on January 16, 2002 at 10:54:33:

But Jay, you are refuting your own agreement.

The 2155 is at the very least a well-made instrument that some top players think is an excellent tuba for their needs. St. Petes are poorly made instruments, in another key, that have a very small following comprising extremely few who would own it if they could afford something like a 2155.

I've heard people praise them, and I've heard people say they don't like them. Both camps are well-represented by players qualified enough to give their judgment some weight. One could hardly say the same for St. Petersburg tubas, especially at the prices for which they are being offered.

In my opinion, Jeff's comment denigrated both instruments, by saying that the 2155's are junk, and that the St. Pete's are the archetype of junky tubas. He's entitled to his opinion, just as others are entitled to refute it, but your excellent advice that recognizes that one man's world-class tuba is another's wall-hanger isn't consistent with it.

Rick "who wonders what he's missing" Denney

Follow Ups: