Re: Re: Re: Re: looking to buy MW2155

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 17, 2002 at 19:28:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: looking to buy MW2155 posted by Rick Denney on January 17, 2002 at 13:59:58:

My impression from reading Jeff's comments were a little less severe than yours, I think. For example, he never once used the term "junk". In any event, you say that there are good players that speak highly of the 2155. I'm not aware of such players personally though I'm sure they exist. My impression is that the 2155 isn't so widely popular like you suggest.

The purpose of my post was to point out that it doesn't really matter what people say about an instrument, relative to how it will work for you. That said, I would still pursue instruments that seem to be working well for other players. Right now, if I were just starting out and knew nothing about tubas, I don't think the 2155 would be on my short list. I'm sure I'd be diligent enough to try out as many horns as possible and if I had access to a 2155, I'd certainly give it a blow. However, I think I'd focus on tubas that are more widely popular than the 2155 is now, at least in my experience. Of course, like I said, it ultimately comes down to what happens with the metal in your hands but at least trying the more popular models first (those that many folks seem to be voting for with their dollars) seems to me to be a fairly high-percentage method of finding the right fit.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: