Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: King 2341

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Tuba on January 21, 2002 at 22:45:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: King 2341 posted by dp on January 21, 2002 at 19:37:28:

Last week I brought my newly delivered King 2341 into Dan Oberloh's shop to let him check it out. Of course, this is the horn that inspired his comments, which we discussed in some detail. Dan is a true perfectionist in his craftsmanship, but even a novice like me could see that UMI needs to get on top of quality control issues with respect to fit and finish. The solder joints are sloppy, there are two laquer runs, the seam about 8" below the bell is literally a visible crease, and the first valve has a solder patch/repair in the port. However, as to how the horn plays...it has exceeded my high expectations, and I'm keeping it, warts and all. The sound is full, broad, rich and smooth. It is remarkably agile and fast. It "slots" superbly, and the intonation is on the money. Most of all, the horn itself allows me to express myself, musically, better than I have been able to before.

I applaud Dan's post because his aim isn't to diminish UMI, but to challenge them. They really have an opportunity to be exceptional. From talking with him, I suspect he cares more about their herritage than they do. And, you were right to alert a potential purchaser of this issue.

As to the original post, I highly recomend you order one on trial. I ordered mine from Dillon, and Matt was fantastic. And yes, like a professional and a gentleman, he told me in advance what to expect regarding the fit and finish issues on my horn.

Finally, I have the same thought as you...let's get one of these things rebuilt and refinished by a pro and see what we've got. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Tony "ouch it's gonna cost to do this" Tuba

Follow Ups: