Re: Re: Swap my Holton BAT or York for a CB50?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on January 11, 2003 at 13:35:15:

In Reply to: Re: Swap my Holton BAT or York for a CB50? posted by Klaus on January 11, 2003 at 06:12:31:

As usual, I can always rely on Klaus for an intelligent and educated suggestion. I salute you. You’re one of the mainstays of this group.
But, here’s the problem. Most of the bands and groups don’t notice much difference in my playing. I’m reading and can generally compensate my hearing loss. The BIG problem is improvising with a Dixie (my favorite) or Jazz group. Songs I know well are okay, but when someone tries something new or in a strange key, I need that fraction of a second to anticipate where they are going, to find that special note that works best. That’s my drug of choice. When that happens, with the right group, and I’m doing it right, there’s nothing better (not to include the obvious like good sex, the rare perfect meal, and the Viper at 178mph). For me, using gadgets, and I’m not knocking them, uses up that fraction of a second and you can start slowing the beat which I think is my job to hold true. As so many of you know, that special musical jolt you get from those rare, special moments, when everything is magic, and unencumbered are hard to come by.... And hard to give up. I’m talking to all tuba players regardless of ability or age (9 to 90). You’ve all felt that ‘spark’ whether it was for a microsecond or an hour. You got in that ever elusive zone.....for a while. And the bar keeps getting higher and your need for even more magic grows as your skills get honed.
It’s an interesting intersection to find yourself at when you are willing to stop doing some of the most important things in your life (in my case writing, drawing, and music), because if you can’t do it as well as you’ve done it in the past....there just isn’t enough of a pay-off to keep doing it. And I think that’s okay. I’m not talking about giving up. I’m talking about moving on........
Man.....what-a-load-of....!
Losing your hearing...REALLY SUCKS!

Follow Ups: