Re: Re: The E-Bay HOLTON

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DS on January 16, 2003 at 18:12:24:

In Reply to: Re: The E-Bay HOLTON posted by Rick Denney on January 16, 2003 at 14:28:27:

Rick,

As usual, your (highly valued) opinion and comments are right on the money.

My question regarding the "magic" or fad issue was purely rhetorical. Although I have not played anywhere near as many tubas as you have, I can say unequivocally that this is certainly the most awesome-sounding tuba I have ever played by a country-mile (well, actually by a planet or two!). I have had a smile on my lips every time I've tooted on it too. Funny, like you, I've also considered myself fortunate to own it, though I took a pretty significant risk buying it untested (I got lucky, I must be living right). Interesting you should compare/match the Holton's playing to that of the Nirschls. In an earlier post I mentioned how I could not get over the similarity in tone production to Brock Campbells NirschlYork (the only Nirschl I had ever heard).

Just curious if you have any further thoughts on mpc's, or if you would share what you have tried so far.

For anyone interested to hear a Holton 345 "at work" in a somewhat unusual environment (New Orleans style jazz), log on to www.sacapulses.com and check out some of the sound bytes they offer. If you can sit still for "Is it true what they say about Dixie" you'd better check your pulse! So much for a Holton's sound overpowering a group. Tubist Gary Kiser (who happens to be a very nice fellow) lays down a sweet, solid foundation for a 5(!) piece ensemble. Gary told me he likes a FAT sound with a good attack ("something that can cut steel if required" - his words) and has found the Bach 7 mpc works best (for him) and uses it for virtually all his work. He says his horn's finish is rough, but he'll NEVER sell it - EVER!

Dietmar (looking forward to "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" tonight) Sedens

Follow Ups: