Re: Re: Re: The E-Bay HOLTON

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 17, 2003 at 07:54:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: The E-Bay HOLTON posted by DS on January 16, 2003 at 18:12:24:

It's no real surprise to me that the Holton and a Nirschl produce similar tone, assuming the same player, of course. They are both inspired by the same original York, though the Nirschl is a copy (or, more accurately, an authentic reproduction), while the Holton is an imitation. Still, there is more that is similar than different, even compared with other very large instruments such as, say, a Fafner or a big Alex. (And Alexanders can be big--the fellow who bought my 20J sent me a picture of it side-by-side with his Alex, and the two looked to be about the same size everywhere except the bell diameter.)

I've only played one Nirschl, and it didn't move me. But all BAT's have consistency issues, which makes me really wonder what it is that makes them work.

For the moment, I'm back to my Doug Elliott 132-2n-R-R4. The rim is similar to a PT-48, the cup is similar to a Conn Helleberg but perhaps a hair shallower, as is the throat. It's the mouthpiece I usually use on my F tuba (which likes big mouthpieces), and it's noticeably smaller than the T cup and 6 backbore I use on the York Master. But I'm still considering options. The Elliott's tone is better than the Rose Orchestra, and the intonation is excellent. But I'm finding that the low F's and E's require a different approach than I'm used to. Dale had warned me about this, and he was right. I'm working on it, and there may be a mouthpiece that makes it a bit easier.

To Jay Bertolet, if you are reading this: How did your Laskey affect the response of your Nirschl in (what would be for you) the mid low range around G and F#?

I have eternal respect for anyone who can play a Bach 7 on this instrument and keep the sound together. I don't have the chops to make a consistently focused sound using my bigger Elliott on the Holton.

But before I make any big investments in mouthpieces, I need to make sure everything on the horn is working right. To that end, Lee Stofer and I are having a chat.

Rick "who thinks fat with good attack describes the Holton pretty well" Denney

Follow Ups: