Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank Lee on January 20, 2003 at 22:12:58:

In Reply to: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs posted by Frank on January 20, 2003 at 21:12:51:

"If it resurface[s] into market again, do you think that it would be very benefic[i]al to younger players (like myself) to hear and experience Jacobs' artistry as a sololist on tuba?"

No. There are far better performances of this piece recorded. ' same goes for the old 10" Catalinet l.p. Both of these historical recordings involve struggling for notes and very little musical inspiration.

On the other hand, if your curiosity overwhelms you, these appear on internet auctions fairly regularly. Both, I think, are paired with the VW Oboe Concerto on their flip-sides. The Jacobs recording has Neil Black playing on the other side (which makes this a collectable recording for oboists), and I think the Catalinet has either Leon Goossens or Evelyn Rothwell (' can't remember which) playing on the flip-side, making that scratchy old recording another oboe-collectable (even though it is the very first recording of the Tuba Concerto).

Follow Ups: