Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on January 24, 2003 at 18:05:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries posted by Jay Bertolet on January 24, 2003 at 17:13:47:

Jay,
I think you're a nice guy, but in this one instance your dismissive tone is way out of line. You know vastly more about orchestral music than I do, but I know PLENTY about hard times.

I encourage you to reread my post. I don't see a durn thing in it about 'business models', nor do I see any 'MBA double-speak'. The one economic fact that is the pink elephant in the corner (so obvious that I didn't see a need to mention it) is that eventually the money coming in has to be greater than or equal to the money going out. You can't pay salaries without money, and it appears that Houston was already spending more than they were bringing in. Something had to give.

But my post wasn't about business AT ALL. It's about people (who, as I said, I hate to see lose their jobs) and what must be either impure motives on behalf of the anonymous "wow wow", or VERY selective compassion that seems to exist only for orchestra musicians.

It is unrealistic and arrogant of orchestra musicians to assume that they should be immune to the same cutbacks and hard times the rest of us are experiencing, and outrageous that there would be such an outcry against the non-artistes, when the cost is largely borne by their largesse.

Furthermore, I believe "wow wow" is disingenuous when he expresses concern over the human suffering of the displaced. It would be a little more convincing if, back in September, I had heard some sympathy for the NINE non-musicians who got the axe. Shoot, it would even be more convincing if I heard some sympathy for them NOW!!

Joe Baker, who has no MBA and no job security, but plenty of experience with cut-backs.

Follow Ups: