Re: Re: What should i do?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on January 08, 2004 at 21:09:33:

In Reply to: Re: What should i do?! posted by Jacob on January 08, 2004 at 20:09:20:

Jacob:

I have been reading this thread since you began it. I hadn't planned to comment, but I'm afraid I feel compelled to do so, now. I am a high school band director and went through the all-state tryout process when I was in high school, as well. I believe I have some knowledge on this subject. I work with coaches as a normal part of my job. There are some good ones and there are some duds. On of their favorite tactics is to play on a guy's masculinity. The phrase you used, "take it as a sign of weakness, wussy, and no commitment..." is just not being entirely fair with you. In your case, that isn't at all what it is about. If your coach knows what your situation is, he/she knows that it isn't about your being weak, or a wuss, or not committed. It is much more complex than that. You are, however, left largely to the will of the coach. I just feel you should know that if the coach does use the weak--wuss-commitment thing, he/she is not thinking of what is best for you, he/she is thinking about what is best for him/her.

For you the solution is not simple. I wish I had the magic answer. As another post suggests, it is important for you to know(and remember) what your priorities truly are. I believe I would look for the middle ground somewhere, first. Let the coach know what is going on and see what is suggested from the coach. If his/her proposed solution doesn't make sense to you, then try to create a plan B. Can you practice and keep yourself protected? If not, it is probably time to make a choice. Which activity do I place the higher priority on. If it is soccer, then keep practicing and playing soccer and hope for the best with the auditions. If it is the tuba, then make certain you are not injured further, even if you never play another minute of soccer. Neither choice precludes further participation as an adult. It only reduces your present opportunities to participate while in high school.

Good luck with this tough decision.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: