Re: Re: Serial Numbers on York Master?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 23, 2004 at 11:12:27:

In Reply to: Re: Serial Numbers on York Master? posted by Link on January 22, 2004 at 23:56:51:

It seems to me that it was in the late 50's or early 60's that the rotary tuba really started to become popular in America. The Alexander was becoming the standard orchestral instrument (except for Jacobs, of course), and then just a few years later Bobo made the Miraphone the instrument to have for many.

Thus, I think Carl Fischer (the owner of York at the time) would have wanted to have a decent rotary tuba in their lineup. Since York was their brand, it would only makes since to label it such.

I would suspect that the B&M-made York Master rotary tuba would be a competent instrument like any other good quality rotary tuba of the time. I don't think I'd pay more for one than for a similar Miraphone or Meinl-Weston, though. And I'd prefer that it have a bell stack with a faster taper, like other rotary tubas. I think this design is a little constrained by the size of the bell attachment ring, and it could also be true for the piston model.

What makes the piston model special is the design of the fourth valve, which is one of the most effective fourth valves of any tuba I've ever played, and the quality of the pistons themselves. The Holton can only dream of valves that good, and it's the one thing I miss the most about my York Master when I play the Holton. I also miss that rock-solid fourth valve response. I don't know if the rotary would share these advantages, and that may be why Chuck has suggested he would prefer the piston version.

Rick "still tempted to put a Miraphone bell on my YM--but reversibly, of course" Denney

Follow Ups: